We are confident that you will quickly start to see the difference that the Seven Steps makes to students, both in terms of their engagement in writing lessons and their writing results. To help you monitor and report on these improvements, we have developed the Track Your Success resources which are now available on Seven Steps Online.
Track Your Success involves:
- pre-testing and post-testing your students’ writing
- surveying students to measure their attitude towards writing
- gathering feedback from teachers to see how differently they feel about teaching writing after implementing the Seven Steps.
The data can then be used to:
- analyse individual classroom successes
- analyse school-wide improvements and trends
- identify further areas to focus on, develop or enhance.
These results can then be used to validate your investment in the Seven Steps and give clear direction on how to continue to improve.
What’s more, seeing great results drives motivation for ongoing writing improvement with the leaders and teachers in your school.
Ideally you should assess your students’ writing before implementing the Seven Steps in your classroom. This makes it much easier to see the difference the program makes to students’ writing results, and to student and teacher attitudes towards writing. However, if you have already started implementing the program you can still use this resource to monitor ongoing progress.
You can download the complete step-by-step instructions here: Track Your Success with Seven Steps. We have outlined the main steps you will need to follow below:
- First, choose the classrooms you want to monitor and report on. Here are some suggestions: every classroom in the school; all classes that are taking NAPLAN this year; one classroom in every grade. It’s completely up to you! Although the NAPLAN Marking Criteria is designed for Grades 3 and up, you can choose to test any year level. We would recommend starting at Grade 2 as you can then assess their level of writing before NAPLAN.
- Next up…it’s time to pre-test your students! We’ve provided suggested topics and recommend following the NAPLAN testing conditions – full details can be found in the step-by-step instructions.
- When it comes time to mark your students’ writing, we recommend using the NAPLAN Marking Criteria – Persuasive and Narrative. Then, simply enter the results for each student into the Persuasive or Narrative spreadsheet.
- Post-testing is the exact same as the pre-testing process. We recommend that you do it after teaching students all Seven Steps – this normally takes between 10 and 16 weeks.
- As in #3 above, once you have marked the writing, you can go back to the original spreadsheet and enter the students’ post-test results.
You can then review and analyse the results in order to highlight any classroom or school-wide improvements that can be share with your colleagues, Principal and the school community. We’re sure there will be lots of great outcomes!
You can also use the results to identify any areas to focus on, develop or enhance. The Recommendations Table provided will show you exactly which steps to use in order to address particular areas of NAPLAN and where to find all of the associated Seven Steps resources. We hope that this will assist with future planning and help support you in meeting the specific needs of your students.
Share Your Success
We would love to hear how you get on with this assessment resource. It would also be great to showcase some of the best ‘before’ and ‘after’ writing samples. If you are happy to share students’ work please use this form to get permission from the parents or guardians.
Please email any feedback or samples to Bev Laing – our Publishing and Content Manager – on email@example.com so we can celebrate your success.
All of this information is also available in the ‘Plan & Assess’ section of Seven Steps Online. Go to www.sevenstepswriting.com/members/track-your-success/ to access this resource.