This page has been updated and moved. Check out all the new (and old) resources via the following links:
Persuasive Writing Samples
Persuasive Writing aims to present an idea to a reader and persuade them to agree with the writer’s point of view.
Learning to write persuasively is a crucial ‘real life’ skill for students. Some examples of persuasive texts include: arguments, expositions, discussions, and letters to the editor, debates, reviews and advertisements.
See the difference the Seven Steps can make in the Persuasive writing samples below...
Before & After
Before & Afters are a great way to see the difference the Seven Steps can make. Share these with your students!
NAPLAN Exemplar −
See Jen McVeity’s (author & Seven Steps creator) Persuasive writing response to the 2015 prompt. It was a tough one!
Inspiring Great Persuasive Writing Can Be Easy!
“Thanks to you, teachers here are so excited about how to teach persuasive texts in a fun way. All kids are so engaged and ask when I am coming back to their rooms to teach them (and their teachers) more!! Probably the best training I have ever been involved in!!”
– Karen, Class Teacher
Training, Activities, Inspiration…On Demand
With Seven Steps Online, you gain access to Persuasive and Narrative online training, lesson plans, activities, inspiration and more! Wherever and whenever you need it.
- “Students and teachers are very positive about the journey so far. Lots of lovely stories about reluctant writers feeling very comfortable and confident. The teachers all seem really pleased with the program and the student work.”Lindy Montague-PopeHead of Curriculum
- “A sequential plan to explicitly teach writing in an engaging manner.”Ed GordonHead of Junior Secondary
- “In the past I've been too focused on the big picture, the finished story and wanting it to be GREAT, but I didn't know how to get there - but now I do!”Rebecca Blanchard-Blackburn
- “Brilliant. This needs to be every school's writing program.”BelindaMaster Teacher
- “Our Writing result in Year 9 is against the national trend which showed a 1.7% drop from 2014 to 2015, where our result went up by 11.4%. I can guarantee our writing success was due to students being exposed to the Seven Steps of Writing Success. Students love it.”ValissaSTLaN Literacy Coach
- “I find Seven Steps, both face to face and online sessions one of the most practical and cost effective resources available. I enjoy hearing students and teachers (and in some cases parents/carers)sharing a common language and understanding of writing. Steps 2 - 7 have also been great in assisting with self and peer feedback sessions, especially in middle and upper primary.”ColletteMaster Teacher, Yeppoon State School
- “Very professional presentation. Wonderfully "grounded" in practice. Well paced with lots of activities and power point examples. I attended a Saturday session 2 years ago - I KNOW that the 7 Steps works - I have taught the steps for 2 years and students LOVE to write now. Each week is a shared adventure in developing skills and fostering delight in writing.”Robyn JohnsonTeacher/Librarian, Wilsonron State School
- “My years 9's went great in the NAPLAN writing last year, they are all ESL students and they all improved by 20% above the normal growth rate!!! My principal was rapt! Our 3's, 5's and 7's also showed accelerated progress in writing, so hopefully the coaching has helped. So the Seven Steps program works with ESL and high school kids as well.”Lee HegartySecondary English and Library Teacher, Cocos Islands District High School
- “I can tell you our Year 5 NAPLAN writing results (which was the only thing going downwards in our results) has improved so much (particularly amongst the targeted boys) that our auditor initially did not believe our data!! He wanted to take it home and study it. Wow!”Genevieve ClarkLiteracy Coach, Camp Hill State Infants And Primary School
- “My co-teacher introduced me to 7 Steps this year when she came on board. I have a lower ability composite year 4/5 class and they themselves are amazed at how much their writing has improved, and we have only just done Sizzling Starts. They are so much more enthusiastic about writing as they've learnt so quickly how to make it fun and engaging. So this has such a big thumbs up from me. It's made English lessons far more meaningful and effective already and we've only just started.”GlennaTaroom P-10 State School
- “Having completed the workshop and subsequently the coaches course this writing programme has changed the way I teach writing and I now see the evidence that it makes an enormous difference to the way my students write. Every teacher should be teaching writing this way. The online resources are great and continue to inspire my teaching.”Rita RenwickYear 6 Key Literacy Teacher, St Simon Peter
- “As an EALD teacher, Seven Steps really supports our pedagogy with importance of quality teaching, explicit modelling and oral interaction.”Renata NinevskiEALD K-6, Jesmond Public School
- “AMAZING!! Such a fresh approach to teaching writing in the modern classroom.”Lea MulrooneySpecial Education Teacher, Woodburn Primary School
- “Once again this inservice was inspirational. In over 30 years of teaching and inservicing I can still say positively that this is the most valuable resource and inservice I have ever encountered. I have seen its value in my classroom and I feel empowered again with refreshed ideas and applications.”Darelle PoyittTeacher Yr 6, Redeemer Baptist School