Be Confident, Teach Passionately
Learn how to break writing down into seven simple steps that can be taught in less than 20 minutes. Inspire confidence and energy in your students.
Empower Every Student
Discover every students’ true potential by taking the complexity out of writing. From younger children who are learning to write, to dyslexic students who think they can’t, to Year 9s writing at a Year 3 level; communicating is the key to learning.
Creative Learning, Engaged Students
Imagine a classroom filled with students begging you to let them write. Sound like a dream? Unlock their curiosity and allow them to become active learners, listeners and sharers.
“Seven Steps makes sense! It is easy to implement into the classroom… fun, practical activities. It is rewarding to see children SO engaged in their writing.” – Tracey Chirio, Year 3 Teacher.
The Inspiring Writing Workshop
Learn it one day. Teach it the next.
Discover the Steps
Learn the seven key elements that transform words on a page into convincing arguments, informative texts or imaginative worlds. Learn what makes writing great, what NAPLAN is looking for, and how to teach it.
Become the Student
Reignite your passion for writing by learning from your students’ perspective – learn by doing. Explore the power of collaboration, verbalisation and multimedia in our most interactive and free-flowing workshop ever!
Explicit Teaching Model
Discover practical writing techniques that connect to the National Curriculum and NAPLAN. Feel confident in advancing students from guided learning through to independent learning.
Authors’ Building Blocks
Turn disengaged learners into happy writers by breaking down tasks into manageable chunks. Designed and used by real authors, the Seven Steps empowers students of any age or skill.
Leave the workshop armed with resources to implement and engage. Use an implementation template, or build your own. There’s over 30 turbo-charged Action Activities to boost students’ engagement, a free 7-day trial for Seven Steps Online and weekly emails filled with reminders, new content and tips from the experts, delivered right when you need them.
About the Seven Steps
- “Two of our teachers attended your Seven Steps seminar last year. They used the program in the Grade 3 cohort. Our NAPLAN results in those two grades were outstanding.”Aspley SSQLD
- “Hands on, real teaching ideas, humorous, practical - brilliant. All teachers should do this seminar.”Jeanette GemmellEumundi SS
- “Entertaining, interesting, relevant, motivating. It gave me a clear vision for where I want our school to go in regards to writing improvement.”Toni Pittard, HOCMaryborough Central SS
- “A super session of awesome techniques to enhance the teaching of writing.”Rita RYear 6 Teacher
- “I can't express to you how passionate I am about the program. I have been implementing it with enormous success in my class. The results so far have been incredibly impressive and the impact on the children's skills and enthusiasm for writing transformative. Even the parents of my students are using the language of the Seven Steps with myself and their children.”Diahnn B.Assistant Principal, Dural Public School (NSW)
- “I have been implementing the program with enormous success in my class and on my stage of Year 1 and 2 teachers. The 7-year-old students in my class can tell you the top tips of each step and put them into practice. They pick out similes and metaphors in imaginative texts that they read and will also identify the pebble, rock and boulder in a story. (Zoey in my class also believes that Hansel and Gretel also incorporates an Uluru!) They use Sizzling Starts for their speeches now, they write using onomatopoeia, similes and their senses to create quality descriptive texts.”Diahnn B.Assistant Principal, Dural Public School (NSW)
- “I attended a Seven Steps PD and it was AMAZING!!!! On Wednesday I tried brainstorming around the word "run" and then we wrote some sizzling starts for one minute. The kids loved it and you could have heard a pin drop during the one minute of writing!!!! Thank you for such an amazing tool and the continuing emails!!!”JoYear 4A Teacher, Petrie State School
- “I find Seven Steps, both face to face and online sessions one of the most practical and cost effective resources available. I enjoy hearing students and teachers (and in some cases parents/carers)sharing a common language and understanding of writing. Steps 2 - 7 have also been great in assisting with self and peer feedback sessions, especially in middle and upper primary.”ColletteMaster Teacher, Yeppoon State School
- “Fantastic! A wonderful resource for teaching writing in the classroom. Hands on, practical & time efficient activities to take back to the classroom to engage students in writing.”JenniferTeacher Year 4, Carlton Public Primary School
- “The best PD I've been to in my 10 years of teaching. Fantastic steps to writing which has made the thought of teaching writing to year 5's so much easier. Students will benefit greatly from my attendance.”Kath FrahmMooloolaba SS
- “Lots of fantastic ideas for our teachers to implement in their classrooms. The framework now makes so much more sense and will definitely improve the quality of writing in our schools.”Caroline HumeLiteracy Leader, St Joachim’s PS
- “BRILLIANT - I'm going back to school tomorrow and telling our principal that everybody in our school deserves this learning opportunity. Pina was truly amazing!!!”Lara SullivanYear 5 Teacher, Our Lady of Lordes Tarro
- “Very professional presentation. Wonderfully "grounded" in practice. Well paced with lots of activities and power point examples. I attended a Saturday session 2 years ago - I KNOW that the 7 Steps works - I have taught the steps for 2 years and students LOVE to write now. Each week is a shared adventure in developing skills and fostering delight in writing.”Robyn JohnsonTeacher/Librarian, Wilsonron State School
- “Having completed the workshop and subsequently the coaches course this writing programme has changed the way I teach writing and I now see the evidence that it makes an enormous difference to the way my students write. Every teacher should be teaching writing this way. The online resources are great and continue to inspire my teaching.”Rita RenwickYear 6 Key Literacy Teacher, St Simon Peter
- “As an EALD teacher, Seven Steps really supports our pedagogy with importance of quality teaching, explicit modelling and oral interaction.”Renata NinevskiEALD K-6, Jesmond Public School
- “Distrustful, nay incredulous! Could a one day course take this Maths nerd & excite him to write? A resounding, "You Bet!" Lots of great ideas, better still s+s + lesson plans. I now feel bold & brave & better equipped to lead my "stewed ants". Thank you.”Billy CreanorTeacher Yr 5, Lakes Grammar
- “I feel like the next 5 weeks of term are planned for in writing.”Ellie BeersTeacher Yr 4, St Francis of Assisi
- “Habit changing. Mind altering. Wow! Beautiful in its brilliance. Exciting and encouraging. A very informative session, adaptable for infants, differentiation easily executed. Thank you.”Sally HagleyTeacher, St Joseph’s Merriwa
- “AMAZING!! Such a fresh approach to teaching writing in the modern classroom.”Lea MulrooneySpecial Education Teacher, Woodburn Primary School
- “Would recommend it to everyone, this presentation was just as engaging as the content. That’s a first for me to be focused and listening the whole time.”Kim KutasiTeacher Yr 3, Wilkins Public School
- “Very inspiring, great to see pedagogy not just theory! I want to go and teach it now. I have a thousand ideas racing through my mind.”Tracie RoweMaster Teacher, Clinton State School
- “I was amazed myself at how easy and simple the classroom activities are. I was shocked by how quickly my own writing skill improved in 1 day. Imagine how beneficial this will be for my students! Really pleased by the results of this program.”Stephanie RawlingsSecondary English Teacher, Mt Larcom State School
- “It was a fantastic day of learning and very applicable to all classes, even at high school. I can quickly see uses for it in year 7 and even year 12!”Rachael CuthbertHigh School Teacher/Literacy Co-ordinator, Cavendish Road State High School
- “Fantastic! I was unsure how beneficial this PD would be for us EC teachers - very pleasantly surprised and highly engaging. A very worthwhile literacy PD.”Trish ChapmanEC Teacher, Tom Price PS
- “Bet PD I have attended in a long time. Incredibly useful. I usually take away 1 or 2 ideas to work on - this time my mind is full!”Judith HillmanGrade 5 Teacher, Jindalee State School