Getting Started with Track Your Success
We're excited to get you started,
and hope you find Track Your Success to be a simple and valuable tool.
Follow these Easy Steps
We really recommend that you assess your students’ writing before implementing the Seven Steps in the classroom. This will make it much easier for you to see the difference the program makes to your writing data, and to student and teacher attitudes to writing schoolwide.
You can download the step-by-step instructions here: Track Your Success with Seven Steps. We have outlined the main steps you will need to follow below:
1. First, choose the classrooms you want to run the tracking in. Some ideas: every classroom in the school; all classes that are taking NAPLAN this year (or, if NAPLAN has passed for the year – all Grades 2, 4, 6, 8); one classroom in every grade. It’s completely up to you!
Although the NAPLAN Marking Criteria is designed for Grades 3 and up, you can choose to test any year level. We would recommend starting at Grade 2 as you can then assess their level of writing before NAPLAN.
2. Next up…it’s time to pre-test your students! We’ve provided suggested topics and recommend following the NAPLAN testing conditions – full details can be found on page 2 in the step-by-step instructions.
3. When it comes time to mark your students’ writing, we recommend using the NAPLAN Marking Criteria – Persuasive and Narrative. Then, simply enter the results for each student into this spreadsheet: Reporting Results NAPLAN Method.
4. When your teachers have finished the pre-test, feel free to shoot us an email and let us know how you found it. That way, we can schedule in to follow you up about post-testing.
5. Post-testing is the exact same as the pre-testing process. We recommend that you do it after teaching students all Seven Steps – this normally takes between 10 and 16 weeks.
6. As in #2 above, once your teachers have marked the writing, they can go back to the spreadsheet they used originally and enter the student post-test results.
7. After post-testing, we recommend that you ask your teachers to complete a brief survey (note: this link is included in the Step-by-Step guide above) to find out how they have found teaching writing over the last several weeks. Their answers are included in the Tracking Writing Success report that we give you.
9. Last but not least! Email us your completed spreadsheet(s).
Then, once you’ve sent us back the spreadsheet from each classroom full of student data, you’re done! We spend time reviewing and analysing the results, and pulling together an Tracking Writing Success report that you can share with your teachers, school and community.
We’re sure there will be lots of great outcomes!
Celebrate Your Students’ Success
We love to share student work. It boosts student confidence, makes teachers (and parents!) feel proud and helps to inspire other teachers.
Sharing your students’ work with us is easy! Simply print this Parent Permission Form and hand it out to parents. Then, email us your students’ before and after samples, or just a particularly strong piece of writing, along with the signed permission form.
We’ll be sure to notify you when we use it so that you and your student can see it for yourselves!
A Reminder of What You'll Receive in the Reporting
Best of all, if you share your results with us, we can provide you with a full report that:
- analyses individual classroom successes
- analyses school-wide improvements and trends
- presents the results to your school for publication, and
- identifies further areas to focus, develop or enhance.
This is fantastic resource that you can share with your school, parents and community.
This data then can be used to validate your investment in the Seven Steps and give clear direction on how to continue to improve.
And importantly – as we’ve seen in the past – seeing great results drives motivation for ongoing writing improvement with the leaders and teachers in your school.
We're Here to Help
Are you interested in giving it a try? Let us know and we’ll help you keep track of when to re-test.
Or do you have a question?
Angela Baker – our Customer Support and Systems Specialist – will happily take you through the process and answer any questions you may have. She’ll also be the one who you will send your completed ‘Reporting spreadsheet’ to when you’ve finished your post-testing.
You can reach her on 03 9521 8439 or firstname.lastname@example.org.