Goondiwindi State School in the Darling Downs region of Queensland implemented the Seven Steps school-wide, after holding a whole school Seven Steps to Writing Success PD. Students were marked on a writing sample at the start of the 10 weeks.
Then teachers applied the Seven Steps program in class, spending approximately 40 minutes a day teaching students about Sizzling Starts, Tightening Tensions, Planning and more. At the end of the 10 weeks, students were marked again, and the teachers were delighted to find a fantastic result…
After just 10 weeks of teaching the Seven Steps, students achieved an average 35% increase in their writing scores. Students were excited to write and their work had improved dramatically.
‘Everyone who participated displayed a confidence in their own writing. Even the Preps, when assigned a ‘scribe’ were keen to get their ideas down on paper.’ – Classroom teacher, Goondawindi SS
- Applicability across multiple ability levels and year levels
- Reluctant writers tasting success for the first time
- Students have begun to embrace writing activities and most are now enthusiastic participants
- Greatly improved student engagement
- Shorter time periods encourage more writing by the children
- Explicitly teaches the students the techniques used by good writers
- Improved academic results
Thanks for sharing your results Goondawindi!