The Curriculum Matrix is a planning tool designed to help you quickly and easily find the content you require. This extract from the Curriculum Matrix lists the Year 2 Australian Curriculum content descriptions covered by each Step and directs you to the relevant pages in the Early Years Writing Manual. The full matrix is available on Seven Steps Online.
Jillian Mudford from Bellevue Hill Public School has kindly allowed us to share her comprehensive list of picture books that are perfect for modelling Seven Steps techniques. So many ways to inspire students’ creative writing! Seven Steps Online members can assess dozens of Story Graphs on popular themes and inquiry topics. << Back to Article
The beauty of the Seven Steps is that once you have mastered them they can be applied to any creative
text types including poetry. Haiku are a great place to start with any age group, try this activity and see
how the Seven Steps can help you to teach this form of poetry.
In our Seven Steps workshops and school PD sessions, we share a number of videos and advertisements that provide perfect examples of the Seven Steps in action. Teachers use them to engage students and to show them how real-world stories are carefully planned and crafted, regardless of whether they are written or filmed.
Tanya Gill from Allenstown State School has kindly allowed us to share the Term 4 planning document for their Writing Improvement Agenda (for 2015). Their approach was modelled on a similar plan implemented by Crescent Lagoon State School in 2014 which amalgamated the NAPLAN Marking Criteria and the Seven Steps in a fortnightly scheme of work. << Back to Article
Sizzling Starts are the most effective way to engage the audience and the quickest way to improve students’ writing results. This extract from the ‘Simple Guide to Improving NAPLAN Data’ is a great starting point when preparing students for the NAPLAN Writing Test. The complete guide is available on Seven Steps Online.
- “Students and teachers are very positive about the journey so far. Lots of lovely stories about reluctant writers feeling very comfortable and confident. The teachers all seem really pleased with the program and the student work.”Lindy Montague-PopeHead of Curriculum
- “A sequential plan to explicitly teach writing in an engaging manner.”Ed GordonHead of Junior Secondary
- “In the past I've been too focused on the big picture, the finished story and wanting it to be GREAT, but I didn't know how to get there - but now I do!”Rebecca Blanchard-Blackburn
- “Brilliant. This needs to be every school's writing program.”BelindaMaster Teacher
- “Our Writing result in Year 9 is against the national trend which showed a 1.7% drop from 2014 to 2015, where our result went up by 11.4%. I can guarantee our writing success was due to students being exposed to the Seven Steps of Writing Success. Students love it.”ValissaSTLaN Literacy Coach
- “I find Seven Steps, both face to face and online sessions one of the most practical and cost effective resources available. I enjoy hearing students and teachers (and in some cases parents/carers)sharing a common language and understanding of writing. Steps 2 - 7 have also been great in assisting with self and peer feedback sessions, especially in middle and upper primary.”ColletteMaster Teacher, Yeppoon State School
- “Very professional presentation. Wonderfully "grounded" in practice. Well paced with lots of activities and power point examples. I attended a Saturday session 2 years ago - I KNOW that the 7 Steps works - I have taught the steps for 2 years and students LOVE to write now. Each week is a shared adventure in developing skills and fostering delight in writing.”Robyn JohnsonTeacher/Librarian, Wilsonron State School
- “My years 9's went great in the NAPLAN writing last year, they are all ESL students and they all improved by 20% above the normal growth rate!!! My principal was rapt! Our 3's, 5's and 7's also showed accelerated progress in writing, so hopefully the coaching has helped. So the Seven Steps program works with ESL and high school kids as well.”Lee HegartySecondary English and Library Teacher, Cocos Islands District High School
- “I can tell you our Year 5 NAPLAN writing results (which was the only thing going downwards in our results) has improved so much (particularly amongst the targeted boys) that our auditor initially did not believe our data!! He wanted to take it home and study it. Wow!”Genevieve ClarkLiteracy Coach, Camp Hill State Infants And Primary School
- “My co-teacher introduced me to 7 Steps this year when she came on board. I have a lower ability composite year 4/5 class and they themselves are amazed at how much their writing has improved, and we have only just done Sizzling Starts. They are so much more enthusiastic about writing as they've learnt so quickly how to make it fun and engaging. So this has such a big thumbs up from me. It's made English lessons far more meaningful and effective already and we've only just started.”GlennaTaroom P-10 State School
- “Having completed the workshop and subsequently the coaches course this writing programme has changed the way I teach writing and I now see the evidence that it makes an enormous difference to the way my students write. Every teacher should be teaching writing this way. The online resources are great and continue to inspire my teaching.”Rita RenwickYear 6 Key Literacy Teacher, St Simon Peter
- “As an EALD teacher, Seven Steps really supports our pedagogy with importance of quality teaching, explicit modelling and oral interaction.”Renata NinevskiEALD K-6, Jesmond Public School
- “AMAZING!! Such a fresh approach to teaching writing in the modern classroom.”Lea MulrooneySpecial Education Teacher, Woodburn Primary School
- “Once again this inservice was inspirational. In over 30 years of teaching and inservicing I can still say positively that this is the most valuable resource and inservice I have ever encountered. I have seen its value in my classroom and I feel empowered again with refreshed ideas and applications.”Darelle PoyittTeacher Yr 6, Redeemer Baptist School