Why choose Seven Steps?
Seven Steps to Writing Success is a writing program that empowers teachers to inspire their students to rapidly improve their writing skills, and most importantly, learn to love writing!
Seven Steps creates engaging classrooms where students learn to love writing and become lifelong communicators.
“Brilliant – Extremely helpful, I will approach the teaching of writing with confidence and clarity. I have certainly developed my professional skills in this workshop, more so than any other curriculum focused PD I have ever attended.” – Karen, Teacher
Raise writing scores by up to 30% in one term
Implementing the Seven Steps program has proven results of 10-35% increases in writing score in just 12 weeks. Longer-term benefits include a consistent system across multiple year levels, greater student engagement and shorter learning curves – the Seven Steps really is the most successful writing program in Australian Schools. See results from some of our schools here.
Practical and engaging PD for teachers and schools
Whether a One-Day Workshop or in the comfort of your own school, you leave armed with over 25 Action Activities and powerful author techniques so you can incorporate the Seven Steps into your lesson plans the very next day.
By trying out the classroom activities during your PD, you master the Seven Steps and see the improvement in yourself. Best of all, you see how quick, fun and engaging writing can be. Once you’re inspired, you’ll be amazed to see the flow-on effect to your students.
Based on author techniques and the Australian Curriculum
The Seven Steps is much more than a writing resource. Developed by an Australian author and using both author and curriculum-based techniques, it develops skills and strengths in students that are crucial for five domains of a holistic learner. Read the full article here.
The concepts of the Seven Steps applies to all forms of writing – Narrative, Persuasive and Informative – and we give practical examples of how to apply the concepts to each text type.
School-wide writing success - from Preps to High Schoolers
Schools that have held a Seven Steps In-School PD rave about the fact that they have achieved:
- A single, common language for writing across all year levels
- Full support and assistance from school leaders
- A great school community for sharing lesson plans, ideas and inspiration
- Best of all, excited kids who love writing from the early years through to high school.
- “Teaching my students writing through Seven Steps has not only improved their writing but also improved my teaching skills and pedagogy. I am now extremely passionate about writing and begin my day very excited which has the most amazing flow on effect to the students.”
- “Children need to learn to write from energetic and excited teachers - Seven Steps empowers me to be just that.”
- “An empowering reminder that anyone can create an exciting story”
- “I have loved leading the Seven Steps in our school and being a part of a very enthusiastic (yes….everyone – even the ones who hated writing before) classroom of students.”
- “I can't express to you how passionate I am about the program. I have been implementing it with enormous success in my class. The results so far have been incredibly impressive and the impact on the children's skills and enthusiasm for writing transformative. Even the parents of my students are using the language of the Seven Steps with myself and their children.”Diahnn B.Assistant Principal, Dural Public School (NSW)
- “I have been implementing the program with enormous success in my class and on my stage of Year 1 and 2 teachers. The 7-year-old students in my class can tell you the top tips of each step and put them into practice. They pick out similes and metaphors in imaginative texts that they read and will also identify the pebble, rock and boulder in a story. (Zoey in my class also believes that Hansel and Gretel also incorporates an Uluru!) They use Sizzling Starts for their speeches now, they write using onomatopoeia, similes and their senses to create quality descriptive texts.”Diahnn B.Assistant Principal, Dural Public School (NSW)
- “I find Seven Steps, both face to face and online sessions one of the most practical and cost effective resources available. I enjoy hearing students and teachers (and in some cases parents/carers)sharing a common language and understanding of writing. Steps 2 - 7 have also been great in assisting with self and peer feedback sessions, especially in middle and upper primary.”ColletteMaster Teacher, Yeppoon State School
- “Very professional presentation. Wonderfully "grounded" in practice. Well paced with lots of activities and power point examples. I attended a Saturday session 2 years ago - I KNOW that the 7 Steps works - I have taught the steps for 2 years and students LOVE to write now. Each week is a shared adventure in developing skills and fostering delight in writing.”Robyn JohnsonTeacher/Librarian, Wilsonron State School
- “My years 9's went great in the NAPLAN writing last year, they are all ESL students and they all improved by 20% above the normal growth rate!!! My principal was rapt! Our 3's, 5's and 7's also showed accelerated progress in writing, so hopefully the coaching has helped. So the Seven Steps program works with ESL and high school kids as well.”Lee HegartySecondary English and Library Teacher, Cocos Islands District High School
- “I can tell you our Year 5 NAPLAN writing results (which was the only thing going downwards in our results) has improved so much (particularly amongst the targeted boys) that our auditor initially did not believe our data!! He wanted to take it home and study it. Wow!”Genevieve ClarkLiteracy Coach, Camp Hill State Infants And Primary School
- “My co-teacher introduced me to 7 Steps this year when she came on board. I have a lower ability composite year 4/5 class and they themselves are amazed at how much their writing has improved, and we have only just done Sizzling Starts. They are so much more enthusiastic about writing as they've learnt so quickly how to make it fun and engaging. So this has such a big thumbs up from me. It's made English lessons far more meaningful and effective already and we've only just started.”GlennaTaroom P-10 State School
- “Having completed the workshop and subsequently the coaches course this writing programme has changed the way I teach writing and I now see the evidence that it makes an enormous difference to the way my students write. Every teacher should be teaching writing this way. The online resources are great and continue to inspire my teaching.”Rita RenwickYear 6 Key Literacy Teacher, St Simon Peter
- “As an EALD teacher, Seven Steps really supports our pedagogy with importance of quality teaching, explicit modelling and oral interaction.”Renata NinevskiEALD K-6, Jesmond Public School
- “AMAZING!! Such a fresh approach to teaching writing in the modern classroom.”Lea MulrooneySpecial Education Teacher, Woodburn Primary School
- “Once again this inservice was inspirational. In over 30 years of teaching and inservicing I can still say positively that this is the most valuable resource and inservice I have ever encountered. I have seen its value in my classroom and I feel empowered again with refreshed ideas and applications.”Darelle PoyittTeacher Yr 6, Redeemer Baptist School
- “I was amazed myself at how easy and simple the classroom activities are. I was shocked by how quickly my own writing skill improved in 1 day. Imagine how beneficial this will be for my students! Really pleased by the results of this program.”Stephanie RawlingsSecondary English Teacher, Mt Larcom State School
Goondiwindi State School
After just 10 weeks, students achieved an average 35% increase in their writing scores.Everyone who participated displayed a confidence in their own writing. Even the Preps, when assigned a ‘scribe’ were keen to get their ideas down on paper.
Kambalda Primary School
Jumped Two NAPLAN BandsIn less than a year after implementing the Seven Steps, the Grade 3 cohort jumped 2 bands in less than a year.
Terrigal High School
A Spectacular Improvement in Just 6 Weeks!After just 6 weeks, year 8 students went from 8% at or above required level to over 60% with 10 students being more than 12 months ahead (previously 0)
Agnes Water State School
Massive increases in student engagement, enjoyment and ability.A group of 60 students across 3 year levels were tested before and after implementing the Seven Steps. They're writing scores improved by 22% overall, with higher engagement, enjoyment and ability across the board.
High School in Gosford, NSW
Transforming engagement in an entire Year 7 class!“...my students’ behaviour problems disappeared, their productivity increased, engagement skyrocketed and the students demonstrated huge growth in their abilities in such a short time."
Rasmussen State School
Transforming writing school-wide and leaping NAPLAN bandsSince implementing the Seven Steps at the end of 2014, Rasmussen has transformed their school from one of the worst performing Queensland schools to significantly outperforming the state in writing improvement between 2015-2017.